Safety, Recovery, and Mental Health Resources | Whirlwind Homes

Emergency Numbers

Important note: If you’re in a dangerous or life-threatening situation, call 911 (see below for emergency services numbers in other countries).

Emergency numbers outside the United States: 

Canada: 911
Mexico: 066 or 911
UK: 999 or 112
Ireland: 999 or 112
Netherlands: 112
Germany: 112
France: 112
Australia: 000 or 112
New Zealand: 111
South Africa: 112 on mobile phones See a complete list on the US Department of State Website

Trauma recovery and mental health

Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and Somatic Experiencing are all referenced in my book Happy Days as profound resources for trauma recovery.

Check the EMDR International Association page for information and resources on Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Click the “Find a Therapist” button to find a practitioner. 

Somatic Experiencing (SE) is a transformational trauma and body-based therapy that can greatly support you. Visit the Somatic Experiencing Internal page to find a practitioner. 

Visit the IFS Institute website to learn more about Internal Family Systems Therapy and find an IFS therapist. 

Psychology Today has a directory where you can search for a therapist and filter for specialties, types of therapy, and insurance. 

More mental health resources 

Anxiety and Depression Association of America is a great government resource. They have a free, confidential helpline that is available 24/7. The number is 1-800-662-4357. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. 

More trauma recovery resources 

EFT International Directory of EFT Practitioners


National Center for PTSD under U.S. Veterans Affairs 

Veterans Crisis Line National Center for PTSD under U.S. Veterans Affairs
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 / TTY: 1-800-799-4889


Schizophrenia support resources

Inpatient/outpatient treatment for trauma and/or addiction

If you’re seeking guidance on how to get into inpatient or outpatient treatment visit Dr. Elisa Hallerman at

High Watch Recovery Center It is a Connecticut-based inpatient program to heal trauma and co-occurring substance abuse disorders. 

The Meadows is an Arizona-based inpatient program to heal trauma as well as addiction. 

The Trauma Center at Justice Resource Institute offers trauma recovery in Boston. 

Center for Motivation & Change is evidence-based outpatient care in New York City with inpatient care in the Berkshires. They can address both drug/alcohol addiction and trauma. 

Disaster distress 

  • Free 24/7 helpline: 1-800-985-5990 

Disaster distress resources

Suicide prevention 

United States 


  • Crisis Services Canada is a suicide hotline with wonderful people to support you. They will provide you with a nonjudgmental, safe, and supportive plan of action. 
  • 1-833-456-4566

United Kingdom 

  • Call Samaritans 24 hours a day: 116 123 

More suicide & mental health helplines in the UK



For more suicide prevention resources, including international hotlines, go to

Postpartum depression and anxiety (PPA & PPD) 

From the American Psychological Association 

If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or your baby, act now: 

Put the baby in a safe place, like a crib. Call a friend, family member, or mental health hotline (free & staffed all day, every day) for help. 

  • National Hopeline Network
    1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) 
  • National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: LifeLine
    1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
    Has hotlines for every state 
  • PPDMoms
    1-800-PPDMOMS (1-800-773-6667)Call your psychologist’s or other licensed mental health provider’s emergency number. Call your doctor’s or other primary health care provider’s emergency number. Go to your local hospital emergency room. Tell someone you trust about what you are feeling; ask him or her to help you take these steps. 

(Source for above guidance and resources) 

More resources 

Domestic violence, physical abuse & sexual assault 

RAINN is an organization for helping sexual assault survivors. 

  • Free, confidential sexual assault hotline is available 24/7: 800-656-HOPE (800-656-4673) 
  • You can also chat online with a counselor: 

The National Domestic Violence Hotline is free, confidential, and available 24/7. 

The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline serves the U.S. and Canada 24/7. 

  • 1-800-422-4453 
  • Assistance is available in 170+ languages 

Animal cruelty resources list 

Addiction recovery 

  • Alcoholics Anonymous  Go to the website to find an AA group near you and more information and help. 
  • In The Rooms Free online addiction recovery support 
  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration  1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357)  Confidential, free, available 24/7 in English & Spanish. This helpline is for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. Callers can also order free publications and other information. 

Find treatment programs in your state that treat addiction and dependence on opioids, such as heroin or prescription pain relievers. 

You can use SAMHSA’s to locate treatment centers for substance  

use disorders, addiction, and mental illness. 

Eating disorders 



Emotional Freedom Technique
Important note: Unexpected emotions can arise when you practice Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, also known as tapping). If your loss is very recent, or if you feel overwhelmed by grief, tap with caution or wait until you have recovered more. Talk to your therapist or doctor before tapping if you’re new to it or not sure how to handle strong feelings that may come up. 


You can also read this blog post for an overview of different grief resources (updated in June 2019). 

Disclaimer: is owned by Whirlwind Homes, LLC. The information on this website is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.  If you need medical advice, contact a licensed medical practitioner in your state or jurisdiction.  It is not legal advice. If you need legal advice, contact a licensed attorney in your state or jurisdiction.

Call Us


Mail Us


440 Louisana Suite 952 Houston, TX 77002